Minority Parent Needed on the McCracken County
Superintendent Screening Committee
The McCracken County Board of Education is in the process of selecting a superintendent for the McCracken County School System. Kentucky Revised Statute 160.362 outlines the process that must be used prior to the McCracken County School Board making the final decision in selecting the new superintendent.
The statute states that the screening committee shall be composed of:
- Two (2) teachers, elected by the teachers of the district;
- One (1) board of education member, appointed by the board chairman;
- One (1) principal, selected by the principals in the district;
- One (1) parent, elected by the presidents of the parent-teacher organizations of the school district;
- One (1) classified employee; elected by the classified employees in the district.
- If a minority member is not elected or appointed to the screening committee in districts with a minority population of eight percent (8%) or more, as determined by the enrollment on the preceding October 1, the committee membership shall be increased to include one (1) minority parent. This minority parent member shall be elected by the parents in an election conducted by the local school board. Parents in the district shall be given adequate notice of the date, time, place, and purpose of the election.
There was not a minority member selected during the first part of the process, therefore a minority parent election must be held. If you are interested in serving on the superintendent screening committee as a minority parent member, please submit your name or the name of a parent who is willing to serve in this capacity to your child’s school principal at your child’s school by Thursday, March 9, 2023 by the end of the school day. Serving on the screening committee will require you to meet four (4) to five (5) times in March and April.
The election will be held on Monday, March 13, 2023 from 8AM-3PM. Voting will take place at your child’s school. Ballots containing the names of individuals nominated will be available in the office at your child’s school. Any parent may vote in this election as long as they have a student in the McCracken County School System, but they will only be allowed to vote one time. A sign-in sheet will be utilized at each school. Ballots will be counted by a three-member committee appointed by Quin Sutton, Kentucky School Board Consultant, contracted by the McCracken County Board of Education.
Please contact Quin Sutton, KSBA Consultant, at [email protected] should you have further questions regarding this process.